TRIGGER WARNING: SEXUAL ASSAULT/RAPE.
A Kentucky girl who was sexually assaulted could face contempt of court charges after she tweeted the names of her juvenile attackers.
Savannah Dietrich, the 17-year-old victim, was frustrated by a plea deal reached late last month by the two boys who assaulted her, and took to Twitter to expose them—violating a court order to keep their names confidential.
“There you go, lock me up,” Dietrich tweeted after naming the perpetrators. “I’m not protecting anyone that made my life a living Hell.” Her Twitter account has since been closed.
Attorneys for the attackers asked a Jefferson District Court judge to hold Dietrich in contempt for lashing out on Twitter. She could face up to 180 days in jail and a $500 fine if convicted. The boys have yet to be sentenced for the August 2011 attack.
“So many of my rights have been taken away by these boys,” Dietrich told Louisville’s Courier-Journal. “I’m at the point, that if I have to go to jail for my rights, I will do it. If they really feel it’s necessary to throw me in jail for talking about what happened to me as opposed to throwing these boys in jail for what they did to me, then I don’t understand justice.”
Dietrich was assaulted by the pair after passing out at a party. They later shared photos of the assault with friends.
“For months, I cried myself to sleep,” Dietrich said. “I couldn’t go out in public places.”
On June 26, the boys pleaded guilty to first-degree sexual abuse and misdemeanor voyeurism. Terms of their plea agreement were not released.
“They got off very easy,” Dietrich, who says she was unaware of the plea agreement before it was announced in court, said in her interview with the newspaper.
“They said I can’t talk about it or I’ll be locked up,” Dietrich tweeted after hearing, according to the paper. “So I’m waiting for them to read this and lock me up.”
“[Protecting rapists] is more important than getting justice for the victim in Louisville,” she added.
A hearing for the contempt of court charge is scheduled for July 30. Attorneys for Dietrich want it open to the media, while the boys lawyers want it closed.
Both the Gannett-owned Courier-Journal and Dietrich’s attorneys “have filed motions to open the proceedings, arguing she has a First Amendment right to speak about what happened in her case,” the newspaper said.
An online petition asking the judge to throw out the charges against Dietrich, launched Saturday, has already accumulated hundreds of signatures.
“[She] should not be legally barred from talking about what happened to her,” Gregg Leslie, executive director of the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, told the Associated Press. “That’s a wide-ranging restraint on speech.”
- ladylilith93 likes this
- ramsowl reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- imaginary-monster likes this
- viioletarojo reblogged this from thosepeskydames
- viioletarojo likes this
- siliconeberks reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- farfromtheheart reblogged this from sparkamovement
- lifeisnotcuredlifeismanaged reblogged this from thingssheloves
- thenerdintheburgh reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- primordial-rectitude likes this
- xxxii-xviii reblogged this from thingssheloves
- myhotkoolaid likes this
- crabby636 likes this
- wi0uxe likes this
- rapturesrevenge reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation and added:
- samashies reblogged this from crashingnotlikehipsorcars
- w-w-c-j-h-d reblogged this from theunsexyfeminist
- somaplume reblogged this from thosepeskydames
- fuckyeahawesomevulvas reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation and added:
- projectkiss reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- kicchou reblogged this from lyssamae
- kicchou likes this
- shelliedoll reblogged this from nathaliem
- puizui reblogged this from starsofwords and added:
- feck-arse-drink reblogged this from cuddlefeyrac
- davosseaworth likes this
- roxy2middle reblogged this from puckfaery32115
- msheidic reblogged this from thingssheloves
- saucy-little-tart likes this
- supgirl1 reblogged this from thingssheloves
- veewhyx3 likes this
- a-chamber-of-thoughts reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- lajoiedevivre likes this
- recklesslykilltonight reblogged this from thingssheloves
- lexmess reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation and added:
- xonniee likes this
- kibses likes this
- dontgiveupthingsalwaysgetbetter likes this
- quievi likes this
- raidenski reblogged this from thingssheloves
- hangramon reblogged this from grangerbread
- raleighloves reblogged this from thingssheloves
- grangerbread reblogged this from vampireslayer
- closeskies reblogged this from flushwithcash
- madugly reblogged this from thingssheloves
- macgyver-it reblogged this from vampireslayer
- izzy-mccabe reblogged this from lanskys
- vampireslayer reblogged this from nathaliem
- oispaceman reblogged this from flushwithcash